Friday 19 July 2013

All-conquering Kenyan youth return to tumultuous welcome

From left: 800m runner Alfred Kipketer, Lilian Kasait (3,000m), Rosefline Chepngetich (2,000m steeplechase) and Robert Kiptoo Biwot (1,500M) proudly display their gold medals at JKIA. Photo/MOHAMMED AMIN.

From left: 800m runner Alfred Kipketer, Lilian Kasait (3,000m), Rosefline Chepngetich (2,000m steeplechase) and Robert Kiptoo Biwot (1,500M) proudly display their gold medals at JKIA.

In Summary
  • Doting auntie says she never dreamed 1,500m champ Biwot would ever board a plane
  • JKIA turned into one big party venue as World Youth Championships stars are feted for their gold haulShare

Business at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport’s reception area grounded to a halt on Thursday morning as the triumphant Team Kenya arrived to a tumultuous welcome from the eighth edition of the World Youth Championships that was held in Ukraine.
Kenya finished second overall with a total of 11 medals, four gold, three silver and four bronze, behind overall winners, Jamaica.
The all-conquering team was met with song and dance as they displayed their shining medals.
Former Sports Minister and Mogotio MP Hellen Sambili joined in the celebrations as one of the four gold medallists, Robert Biwott, a resident of her constituency, was carried shoulder high.
Biwott, a Form Four student at Athinai Secondary in Rongai Baringo won the 1,500m boys’ finals in 3:36.77 minutes, breaking the World Youth record of 3:36.78 that had stood for 12 years.
Biwott lost both parents at the age of five, and was adopted and raised by her aunt, Rebecca Teriki, who was on hand to proudly welcome the youngster back.
“I am speechless with what my son has done for me and the community at large. I never imagined he could even board a plane and now he has done it and won gold for Kenya. He is a disciplined boy and also does very well in class and we are very proud of him,” said Teriki.
Sambili said: “There is no way I could have I stayed at home to sleep when the first gold medallist from my constituency was arriving. I am very proud of him and honoured to get a runner from my constituency breaking a 12-year-old record.”
Lilian Kasait, a shy Class Seven pupil at Kaptabuk Primary in West Pokot, who won 3,000m gold, said her source of inspiration was three-time World Half Marathon champion, Tegla Loroupe.
“Tegla has inspired me so much and I am loving being a world champion. I train very hard to emulate her. This is my first competitive race and I am happy to have started with a victory.” Head coach Kariuki Gekonyo lauded the results terming them a sound warning to Kenya’s rivals in long distance races.
Meanwhile, 800m champion, Alfred Kipketer said he was hot on the heels of Olympic champion and world record holder, David Rudisha.
“I have admired Rudisha and always wish to follow his footsteps. I have started this journey very well and I can tell Kenya that 800m race is in safe hands,” he said.
17-year-old said.
Two athletes, Jarinter Mwasya (800) and Stanley Kieti Mutunga (200) were disqualified for unknowingly stepping on the line against IAAF rules.

No comments: