Thursday 22 August 2013

Why do women cheat?


In the yester-years, the news that a woman had cheated on her partner was a scandal of immeasurable magnitude. A woman, once married, was expected to be faithful to her husband, no matter what, ‘until death do us part’. The so-called "cheating gene" was a preserve of men. But that was then.

In one unscientific yet telling poll at womansavers.com, women were asked if they had ever cheated. Of the 9,400 women who responded, 49 per cent said they had. Another 26 per cent said they had had no problem stepping out on their partners if they knew they could get away with it. That is today’s woman. If men thought they had Masters degrees on cheating, women have gone higher up with PHDs.
Miriam has just completed campus and is an intern at a company in Nairobi. She has a boyfriend with whom she has gone steady, but she is cheating on him with her boss."I am doing it in order to get a permanent job. I cannot be an intern all my life. It’s nothing personal, it’s a necessity," she argues.
Blame the husband
Miriam claims that dividing time between her boss and boyfriend is very hard but she is up to it. She does not care that her boss is married; after all she has a boyfriend too.
Some women blame their husbands for their decision to cheat. "I gave my husband everything I had and even quit my job to raise our five children. I was a good wife who was always waiting to serve him even when he came home past midnight. I gave him support and encouraged him when he was low; I was literally his rock. Anything he needed I provided without second thought; but when I found out that he was cheating on me, I lost it. to. In revenge, I had an affair with his closest friend," says a woman who wished to remain anonymous.
"I initially intended it to be a one time thing just to get even, but now later I could no longer control it. I, however, have no regrets. If my husband can cheat on me after everything I did for him, why shouldn’t I also have fun?"
Negligence
You have probably heard that men cheat because of physical reasons but experts have found out that most women cheat because of emotional reasons. Even so, it takes more than mere opportunity to get a woman to slide between someone else’s sheets.
Naomi James, a counselling psychologist and therapist with Oasis Africa, says that women will most likely cheat due to emotional negligence. "Women who feel emotionally neglected by their spouses are easy targets for affairs. If they find empathy elsewhere, they go for it. Men look at issues in a rational way while women are emotionally wired. A careful listening ear will attract a woman toward another man.

No comments: